More info at: http://www.csuchico.edu/about/index.shtml
In 1887 the California Legislature approved the creation of the Northern Branch of the State Normal School for the purpose of training and educating teachers. After much debate over which city would be selected for the new school site, Chico was chosen and construction began on the Chico Normal School, which opened its doors to 90 students in 1889. Throughout the years, the college grew and its name changed to reflect that growth—from Chico Normal School to Chico State Teachers College to Chico State College. In 1972, we became known as California State University, Chico. The University, commonly called “Chico State,” now offers more than 100 undergraduate majors and options. Learn more about our history and traditions.
The main campus is situated on 119 acres in downtown Chico, but Chico State also owns a 1,050–acre farm and five acres of off-campus dorms about one mile from the main campus. The University also manages 3,950–acre Big Chico Creek Ecological Reserve and the 300–acre Butte Creek Ecological Reserve.